Saturday, June 9, 2012

Budgies: buy a couple!

Photo © Honest-Style on deviantart
When I went to the pet store a year ago, I already knew what I was going for: a budgie couple. Pet stores are cruel. Imagine all the budgie couples that are living together there until some ignorant person decides to separate them. I didn't want to do that, so I took my time. It takes some patience and observation to determine whether budgies form a pair or not. Look at the pictures above: budgie couples often preen each other. I could tell that Frodo and Isla were a couple, or at least they seemed to be very close together. But there was another female, who almost looked like a copy of Isla, so I was scared that they would catch the wrong bird. Today, I'm still pretty sure that they are a couple. They playfight a lot, and they preen each other a lot. I think they're too young to start a nest... but maybe, someday in the near future?

1 comment: